Wednesday, April 8, 2009

One of the smartest people I've ever met....

I've always had a soft spot for former Republican Congressman Tom Campbell. He just recently stepped down as the Dean at the Haas Business School in order to run for the GOP nomination for Governor. It will be an uphill battle for him because his moderate views often put him at odds with the right-wing. Oh, he's also running against at least two people who can put tens of millions of their own money into the race.

I still think that he would have beaten Barbara Boxer for the Senate (I'm full of revisionist history tonight) if he had been the Republican nominee in 1992. He narrowly lost the nomination to Bruce Herschenson- a hard right candidate who only lost to Boxer by a couple of percentage points.

The LA Times has a profile of Campbell that's worth checking out. I wonder if he will actually run if he determines he has no chance against Whitman and Poizner.

2 comments:

  1. I used to really like Campbell, thinking of him as a man of principle (even if I often disagreed), but when he voted to impeach Clinton on the bogus GOP charges it was over for me. Anybody that puts Tom Delay and GOP politics over the Constitution and American voters is just another partisan hack.

    Not that I'm still bitter, or anything. Apparently, I wasn't the only one:

    http://www.nytimes.com/1999/01/29/us/president-s-trial-members-voters-angered-impeachment-put-republican-early-notice.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend Brian over at Calitics isn't a big fan either:

    http://calitics.com/diary/8495/why-dont-we-go-ahead-and-beatify-tom-campbell-already

    ReplyDelete